Corona virus

Forums Members’ Forum Corona virus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Hello all,
    The real dilemma of restarting is that those patients who are at risk of complications if they don’t receive regular treatments are also the ones who are at most risk from leaving their homes and travelling to the surgery. Even though I know I will be following guidelines to the letter, I feel uneasy inviting patients back if there is even the slightest risk to them. I’m finding the whole scenario very disconcerting ( perhaps I’m overthinking it)
    The guidelines to treat do seem to have a few grey areas that leave the onus with the practitioner. I rather wish they would give us all a definite set date that we should return, still with all PPE etc in place.

Regarding return to work.
    I have had to implement tough measures to return to work. I’m at higher risk due to asthma and auto immune issues.
    I have ordered an anti sneeze screen that fits across the couch between myself and the patient. A 15 minute gap will be booked between clients to allow time for me to sanitize any areas likely to be touched such as hand rails door handles etc. Reception area will be closed and patients to arrive on time and straight into treatment room. Both myself and all patients will wear masks. Contactless card payments if possible. My biggest issue is it impossible to obtain masks,aprons and hard surface wipes. The masks have escalated in cost from £2.50 box of 50 to between £35and £65 a box of 50.This means a huge increase in weekly costs.With the gaping between patients, the increased coats of PPE and increase in card fees this will mean an increase in patient fees.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Gillian
    You have made some very interesting points there, particularly with regard to increased costs & the necessity to pass that on to patients, and allowing extra time between patients to sanitise contact areas, I would like to ask do you intend providing masks to patients or will you ask them to bring their own? My concern being will you have enough if you are having to provide them? Also do you have a date in mind to return to work or are you planning to wait for an announcement regarding the lockdown?

Hi Angela,
    In relation to yours and Gillian’s very interesting posts,I’m now planning to return to work on the first week in June; slightly dependant upon receiving the face visors and 11R face masks I ordered from Canonbury ( that I nearly had to sell my house to buy!!) and what Boris has to say on Thursday regarding the possibility of a lockdown extension. I know we are classed as key workers but the lockdown situation has a big effect on the publics decision to venture out, even for healthcare.
    I also agree that we are within our rights to increase fees slightly to reflect the increased costs and reduction in patient numbers, I think people will understand this.
    I’m not looking forward to returning to work at the moment, all things considered, which is sad because I’ve always loved my job
    Good luck for your return,
    Pam

Hello Gillian ,
    Where did you get the anti sneeze screen from that can fit over a couch ? Sounds a good idea to me !
    Many thanks and keep safe
    Christine

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Pamela,
    Thank you for your reply, I agree with you, the first week in June is probably about right, I had hoped it would be a little sooner but its looking very likely that the lockdown will be extended on Thursday, so at the earliest its going to be late May to early June.
    Like you I’m not looking forward to returning to work, I think its going to be extremely hard going & very stressful, there is a lot more to do, a lot more to think about and a lot more at stake, which makes me very anxious, and that’s a shame because like you I have always loved my job.
    I wish you well for your return,
    Angela

Hi Christine
    the anti sneeze screen can be found at https://grafxuk.shop/products/freestanding-clinical-protection-screen-/
    Ive checked the link and it works.

Did anyone see the FB webinar by Damian Murray We Treat Feet group last night? Makes for some serious thinking re PPE. Use of drills both water and dust extraction could indicate the need to wear eye protection/face shield, the more advanced filtering face piece respirator and single use fluid resistant gowns. Pricing this up we could add £15+ to each treatment or be seriously out of pocket. It was interesting that he quoted that if we regularly treated 16 patients a day this would easily be reduced to 10 with gapping to allow for sanitizing etc, also making consideration for all patients/reception and other staff to be 2 metres apart could also cause issue as some practices may not have the space. Add to this that we start asking patients to pay via contactless then we see an increase in fees here on average 1.75%. Get prices, do your sums, think about the loss of time. Then consider fees. Its scary!
    I have already had patients ask about increased fees. I expect every patient to wear a mask through treatment. My rationale for this is the risk of build up of micro droplets if anyone coughs or sneezes. The smaller the droplet the longer it remains airborne. I believe there is evidence that those people exposed to more of the virus on a regular basis are more likely to develop a more serious case of it. If the patient coughs and walks out the door the droplets are in the air and we are sitting in that environment far longer than the patient. If several of our daily patients cough or sneeze then this potentially increases the risk to us.

Relating back to the costs of masks. Trade houses are quoting from £45-£65 for 50 masks that I could purchase from one supplier for just over £2.00/50 2 years ago. Even that supplier is selling at £35 and not allowing anyone other than front line and NHS to order anything. Frankly some places are in my own opinion over priced. £7 for a gown £6 for face shield.

Until I have assessed all the risks, costs and have enough affordable PPE to start back to work im afraid I wont be reopening.

Hi Angela,
    On the topic of the “anxious return “ I was thinking on a more positive note that once we get a good routine going it will soon start to feel more familiar and therefore hopefully less stressful. Also, let’s remember, it won’t be forever!!
    When it’s over, it’s going to feel totally liberating!!
    Thanks for your supportive reply, it was very much appreciated
    Very best regards,
    Pam

I’ve just had a look at the Government Plan. As I understand it, for those of us who do domicilliary work, we can resume at phase 2 ?? Presumably this is dependent upon having the correct PPE, which is proving very difficult to source and very expensive. Hopefully, we will get more detailed guidance soon.

I might add – proposed plan.

Carolyn Beattie Do you have a link to the Government Plan?

Sorry, no. It was info my daughter had through her work. TBH, the media are doing a very good job of confusing me with their constant speculation. I’ll wait to hear what the PM has to say on Sunday. I’m sure any changes will be very limited.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone, not sure if this gives rise to more confusion or clarity, but here goes, came across this updated document last night whilst trawling through www,gov.uk this document was updated on 1st May 2020 and it clearly states that our profession amongst others are an exception to the lockdown.
    Point 1. Businesses & venues that must remain closed to members of the public – go to Retail and look to the right under exceptions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close-guidance#businesses-and-venues-that-must-remain-closed-to-members-of-the-public

Whether we are an exception to the lockdown or not we cannot return to work without appropriate PPE.
    I am anticipating a return to work once I have my sourced delivery of extremely expensive masks and anti sneeze screen. Presumably domiciliary work cannot recommence until after those who have been asked to self isolate (which for me is most of my doms) have been allowed to return to the outside world. its all very confusing.

Hi Angela,
    I’ve just read the link you gave and I would say that’s the definite thumbs up. Although I still plan to start at the beginning of June as Canonbury haven’t sent me the PPE I ordered yet! Also, it’s going to take quite a bit of time and organization to contact and book months worth of appointments for people who will also need to be questioned and informed as to their personal circumstances re: shielding/risk etc and have new practice procedures explained to them prior to said appointment ( phew!! I’m tired already!!)
    Are you still planning on June or earlier?
    Best regards,
    Pam

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.